The fall weather has been taking it’s sweet time to arrive here in the Pacific Northwest. Typically by now we’ve seen our first frost. Not this year — it’s been unseasonably warm! Despite the good weather, the days are still getting shorter and darkness is settling in earlier everyday. It makes me want to wrap up in a cozy sweater and eat hot delicious soup. I know that the temperature will have to drop sooner or later so it’s time to start breaking out the soup recipes!
My kids tend to be picky eaters, especially when it comes to protein. All three of them like sausage though so I decided to make a Sausage Corn Chowder for my first soup of the season. Hilshire Farm Smoked Sausage is only $3.99 at Safeway with your club card. You can also download a coupon for $0.55 off 1 with the Safeway J4U app.
- 1 pkg. Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage
- 1/4 Cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 Med. Onion, Chopped
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Cups of Milk
- 1 Can (15.25oz.) Whole Kernel Corn, Drained
- 2 Cups Cubed Potatoes (I learned this is about 3 medium potatoes)
Originally, I wanted to make this in the crockpot. Unfortunately I didn’t leave myself enough time and I ended up having to transfer the soup from the crockpot to the stove to finish cooking in order to eat dinner before sports practices. You’ll need at least 6 hours on high to cook the potatoes long enough.
Put the onions and butter in the crockpot on high. Once the butter has melted, add the rest of the ingredients and stir gently to combine. Put the lid on the crockpot and cook for around 6 hours or until the potatoes are fork tender.
I served the soup with shredded cheese on top and a side of buttered French bread that I got for less than $1 with a coupon from the J4U app. A side salad completes this hearty and delicious meal which was easily under $10 to make!
Since sausage seems to be one of the only proteins all of my kids like, it’s my go-to source for dinners. I even sometimes sneak it in for breakfast. Really, it can be used for any meal of the day. Hillshire Brands have a great selection of different varieties of sausage and hotdogs that make it easy to create meals my whole family will enjoy. In fact, right now you can take advantage of some valuable coupons on the Safeway J4U app on the following Hillshire Brands products:
- Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage -$.55/1
- Products: Hillshire Farm Rope and Link Sausage, American Craft Links
- Hillshire Farm Cocktails (Lil Smokies) – $.55/1
- Jimmy Dean Refrigerated Sausage -$.55/1
- Roll Sausage, Fully Cooked Crumbles, Links and Patties
- Jimmy Dean Frozen -$1/1
- Frozen Breakfast (Delights or Red Box)
- State Fair Corn Dogs – $1/1
- Ball Park Hot Dogs -$.55/1
- Ball Park Hot Dogs or Park’s Finest from Ball Park
My picky little eaters like ALL of these products! Luckily there are lots of creative ways to use them to switch up week night dinners. Check out some of these recipes from other bloggers using some of these Hillshire Farms products:
- Spooky Meal Ideas: Mummy Dogs
- Zombie Muffins with Lil Smokies
- Glazed Sausage Waffle on a Stick
- Cheesy Sausage and Spinach Pasta
- Buttermilk Biscuit Waffles with Creamy Sausage Gravy
- Homemade Stromboli with Sausage
- Spicy Smoked Sausage Wraps
- Ditalini & Sausage Soup
What is YOUR favorite go-to meal using sausage?Powered by Sidelines