My 12 year old daughter has been schooling me in the latest fashion trends and I am finding out that some things never change! Or, at least they’ve come back around from when I was her age.
With schools opening back up all over the country, kids are going to be more concerned than ever with their back-to-school looks! Need a few pointers on what is trending? Thanks to my daughter, I’ve got you covered.
I’m with the band.
If there’s one trend I am seeing everywhere it’s band t-shirts. It’s funny to me because most of these kids don’t know anything about the bands they proudly display on their tees, many of which are from my own high school days. McKinley loves her Nirvana, Def Leppard and Rolling Stone tees but she’s only heard their music when we’ve played it for her so she’ll know who she’s representing!
Go big or go home.
Forget worrying about finding your size. The bigger the better! Oversized sweatshirts, tees and sweats are in right now. I have McKinley follow this rule of thumb: Big on top, small on bottom or small on top, big on bottom. Oversized tops look good with leggings or skinny jeans while fitted tops look great with baggy sweats or mom jeans.
Go against the trend.
It’s always been trendy to set your own trends. Be your unique, individual self and wear what makes YOU happy. McKinley is all about name brands but she also likes the thrill and creativity of thrift shopping. She mixes and matches — trendy one day, her own unique style the next. It’s fun to play around and create your own styles!
For more fashion trends, be sure to check out this post from the zulily Back to School Fashion Forecast.
Zulily just launched Zulily’s Back-to-School, #UniquelyZu Contest that will give kids a chance to be the trend setting inspiration for an exclusive capsule collection. Six creative kids will be chosen to win a $6,000 prize package based on their submitted designs, and a bonus opportunity for the parent and child to participate in a design session with Zulily, providing creative inspiration for an exclusive Zulily capsule collection to be launched in 2022 that will range from swimwear to back-to-school styles.
Submissions from six creative kids will be chosen as winners, and their parents will receive an individual prize package on their behalf valued at $6,000 including:
- $5,000 financial reward to go towards their child’s education.
- $1,000 shopping credit on Zulily to get them ready for Back-to-School.
- A bonus opportunity for the winning kids to co-inspire a new capsule collection for 2022!
Here’s how to enter:
- Encourage your child (ages 5-14) to create a fresh outfit, flat lay, design sketch, collage, mood board, etc. that illustrates their unique fashion style.
- Take a photo of your child’s masterpiece and submit it for entry on your public Instagram page. Don’t forget to include the hashtags #zulilycontest and #uniquelyZu to make it official!
- A parent or legal guardian needs to fill out the form on this page as is required for entry. The official contest rules can be found here.
I can’t wait to see all the entries! This is a really fun project for kids before school starts and a great chance to win some cool prizes! Submissions are only being accepted through July 31st so get your entry in for the judges and get ready for the voting round!