This post may contain affiliate links. Mommies with Cents receives free products for review purposes and may sometimes be compensated for posts but all opinions expressed are 100% my own. See Mommies With Cents disclosure policy for more details.
A few weeks ago I showed you have to get a long lasting manicure at home. This week I want to tell you how to remove your gel polish without ruining your nails. Your manicure should last a week or longer but once it starts coming off, it’s time to remove it properly. If you are a picker like me, it can be damaging to wait! Picking at it will likely remove thin layers of your nail beds and you don’t want that to happen! It will make your nails weak.
For this method of removal you’ll need:
- “Wearable Soakers”
- Cotton Balls
- Metal Cuticle Pusher
- Fine Nail File Block (it’s important not to use a coarse grit file)
- First, lightly file the surface of the polish on each nail to take the shine off
- Next, soak cotton balls in acetone and place inside your wearable soakers
- Insert your fingers into them making sure the cotton ball rests on top of your nail
- Wear them for around 5 minutes then check them by removing one finger. If the polish is starting to come off you can start the next step. If not, replace your finger and wear longer.
- Using your metal cuticle pusher, gently scrape off your polish. It should come off easily. If it doesn’t, repeat the previous step.
Sometimes it takes a few times repeating the last two steps depending on how thick your top coat was. Do NOT scrape hard! If it isn’t coming off you may not have removed the layer of shine enough. Buff gently with your file block and try again.
This is just one way to remove gel polish at home. I’ll have an alternative method to try coming soon! You can also check out my new Manicure Monday series for polish ideas and other tips!