This post may contain affiliate links. Mommies with Cents receives free products for review purposes and may sometimes be compensated for posts but all opinions expressed are 100% my own. See Mommies With Cents disclosure policy for more details.
Our weather lately is so wishy-washy. One day it’s relatively warm and sunny and I can’t help but spend time out working in the yard. Then the next day it’s pouring rain and I’m forced back inside. Normally that would scream pajamas and movie day but there’s something about spring that makes me feel more productive and inspired. I’ve been organizing and decorating but now it’s time for some deep cleaning. The next sunny day I’m throwing open the doors and welcoming in the fresh spring air. Until then, I’ll be tackling cleaning projects and I wanted to share with you some of my favorite cleaning tools. I’ve had the opportunity to try so many different products but these are my top 5 spring cleaning must haves:
- [amazon_link id=”B0017SJA2S” target=”_blank” ]Magic Eraser[/amazon_link] — I can’t tell you how many times the Magic Eraser has saved us from serious disaster brought on by our 3 kiddos. Would you believe that it removed RED permanent marker from our hardwood floors and crayon from our movie screen? Aside from accidents, I love the Magic Eraser for removing marks from walls and floors as well as cleaning bathtubs and shower floors. You’ll be amazed at how clean you’ll be able to get them!
- [amazon_link id=”B00FM7LHDU” target=”_blank” ]Skoy Cloths[/amazon_link] —These are the best cleaning cloths I’ve ever used. They’re not only affordable, but they’re green too. Made from a natural cotton and wood-based cellulose pulp, Skoy Cloth is 100% biodegradable. These amazing cloths can absorb 15 times their own weight making them ideal for wiping up spills. They’re super strong too — you can really scrub hard with them without them ripping or wearing holes. I like using them on countertops, mirrors and even for hand washing my floors!
- [amazon_link id=”B007F1MA46″ target=”_blank” ]Vinegar[/amazon_link] — This is a staple cleaner in our household. I mix white vinegar 50/50 with water. Sometimes I add a little bit of dish soap. I use it on just about everything — floors, counters, mirrors, windows etc. It’s great at cutting grease and if I need a little extra scrubbing power I sprinkle on a little bit of baking soda. Both are extremely effective and don’t contain chemicals making them safe for families. Best of all, you can buy it in bulk for super cheap!
- A good [amazon_link id=”B009ZDJIFG” target=”_blank” ]vacuum cleaner[/amazon_link] — As someone very sensitive to allergens it’s important to me to have a good vacuum cleaner. Since we only have a few carpeted areas in our house, I like having a vacuum that easily transitions from carpet to bare floors (hardwood, tile, etc.) It also must have HEPA filtration to help control allergens. You can read more about my current favorite vacuum below.
- [amazon_link id=”B000QR931O” target=”_blank” ]Duster[/amazon_link] — Dusting is one of my least favorite jobs but the Swiffer 360 Duster makes it easy. The dust really clings to the duster, plus the extendable handle makes it easy to reach high shelves and for clearing cobwebs in corners. The dusters are disposable which I actually like in this case because I’m allergic to dust mites.
I’ve owned many vacuum cleaners over the years and my experiences have made it pretty clear what to look for in my ideal vacuum. With one small exception, the Soniclean VT Plus fits the bill. First off, it’s very light weight (just 10.5 lbs) and practically propels itself. It’s small and sleek making it easy to store. The cord is long enough to reach several rooms without having to unplug it. This vacuum easily transitions from carpet to bare floors with a switch on the handle which is important to me since we have both carpet and hardwoods in our home.
Now let’s talk about bags vs. bagless. I remember when bagless vacuum cleaners first came out. They were all the rage. I’ve owned both types and am sort of on the fence. One one hand, I LOVE not having to buy bags because I’m horrible about keeping extras on hand and always seem to run out at the most inopportune times. On the other hand, keeping the bagless canister clean is a pain and forget about emptying them — the dust just flies right back up into the air which immediately sets my eyes itching and my sneezing fits into overdrive. For that reason, bags are the way to go. The Soniclean features an indicator that lets you know when the bag is full. It’s easy to switch out and it’s such a cleaner process because the dust and dirt stays in the bag rather than kicking back up into the air. The patented SEAL-TECH HEPA filter bag system is designed to capture allergens and microscopic particles — exactly what I need!
Remember that exception I mentioned? The only thing that would make this vacuum better in my opinion is a single onboard attachment. While it does do a pretty good job at getting close to the edges and an exceptional job getting under things with it’s low profile and ability to bend way down low, I like having a tool to do edging with (and to suck up the occasional spider). It’s not a total deal breaker though, especially with the Soniclean’s added bonuses.
It comes with a Sonicfresh fragrance dispensing system that releases a light, clean scent into the air as you vacuum. I don’t know of any other vacuum that does that and there’s no scent I love more than “clean”! Additionally, it features a sophisticated jam sensor technology that automatically shuts off the vacuum if it senses a jam — a must have for moms whose kids leave toys, socks and random other things strewn about. Last but not least, the Soniclean uses approximately 50% less electricity than most full sized vacuum cleaners due to it’s high efficiency direct air “paramagnetic” motor.
Here are all of the features at a glance:
- Patented Sonic cleaning technology
- 200 sonic vibrations per second loosen deep, ground-in dirt and dust
- Direct air motor design for superior suction
- Green technology high efficiency direct air “Paramagnetic” vacuum motor
- Uses 50% less electricity than many full size vacuums
- Weight – extremely lightweight at only 10.5 lbs.
- Seal Tech HEPA filter bags provide 99.97% filtration at 0.3 microns
- Seal Tech HEPA filter bags provide clean and easy disposal of dirt and dust
- Patent pending Sonicfresh fragrance dispensing system
- Fragrance pods keep your vacuum smelling fresh
- Two separate modes for cleaning – works great on both carpet and hard floors
- Separate on/off sonic power control for floor and carpet
- Ergonomic handle for comfort grip
- 35 ft. power cord with quick release cord holder
- Sophisticated jam sensor technology automatically shuts off the vacuum if it senses a jam
- Full bag indicator light – alerts you when it’s time to change your filter bag
- Lays flat to the floor for easy cleaning under chairs, tables, and beds
- Three year motor and parts warranty
- Lifetime warranty on vacuum belt
If you’re looking for a lightweight, easy-to-use, powerful vacuum that’s great for carpets as well as bare floors, consider the Soniclean VT Plus! It retails for $199.80 at www.mysoniclean.com.