Easy to wrap or tuck into a stocking, books are just right for holiday gift-giving. For under $10 or $20 you can give a child a fun and interactive experience that will last for years to come. As always, Candlewick Press has a great selection of books to gift or keep for the holidays.
- The Christmas Giant- This story is about a Giant named Humphrey and an elf named Leetree who make Christmas wrapping paper for the North Pole Toy Makers.
- The First Christmas: A Changing Picture Book– This nativity story features four changing pictures the change from one image to another when the flap is opened. My son loves looking at this book and I love reading him a story that is the true spirit of the season.
- The Christmas Eve Ghost– This story is based on the author’s 1930’s memories in Liverpool with old-fashioned drawings that help tell her tale.
- Great Joy– “It is just before Christmas when an organ grinder and monkey appear on the street outside Frances’s apartment. When it’s quiet she can hear their music, and when she looks out her window at midnight, she sees them sleeping outside. Finally the day of the Christmas pageant arrives, but when it’s Frances’s turn to speak, all she can think about is the organ grinder’s sad eyes — until a door opens just in time, and she finds the perfect words to share. With this luminous tale, Kate DiCamillo pairs with Bagram Ibatoulline to offer a timeless holiday gift.”
- My Penguin Osbert– This super cute story is about a boy who wishes for a penguin for Christmas. His wish comes true but having a pet penguin isn’t as fun as he’d imagined. Cold baths and meals of creamed herring aren’t what he’d imagined. Beautifully illustrated!
- Suzy Goose & The Christmas Star– Suzy Goose and her friends decorate a Christmas tree but they are lacking a topper. Suzy sees the perfect Star in the sky. She tries her hardest to get it but ends up lost. When she finally finds her friends again, she looks up at the tree and discovers the star is positioned just right and is the most perfect tree topper ever!
- ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas– the classic poem, illustrated by Matt Tavares
And for gift giving:
- Movie Maker: The Ultimate Guide to Movie Making– This book functions as an actual clapper board- “take two!” It contains everything you need to do make a movie using a digital camera or cell phone.
- Fantasy– This book will transport you to another world with elves, dwarfs, hobgoblins and more. Awesome illustrations!
- Alienology– Some of the topics covered in this book include: A map of the universe, showing the location of many alien worlds, alien species guide, Alien biology, methods of communication, and civilizations, spaceship design, how to identify aliens and more!
- Switching on The Moon– A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems, this book would make an excellent gift for baby’s first Christmas!
It’s no surprise that Candlewick Press came through again for the holidays. They always have the perfect selection of books to keep AND to give during the holidays. Since I have small children, my favorite is Suzy Goose & The Christmas Star. For gifting, Movie Maker is about as cool as it gets and kids will have a blast learning how to make movies.
Enter to win a copy of Christmas Eve Ghost and The Christmas Giant by filling out the form below. This giveaway is open until December 18, 2010 at 11:59 pm CST to U.S residents.
Please leave your name, address, email and answers to the questions (if any) in the form below. This is required for initial entry. Extra entries are optional. For more information on how to enter our giveaways, please see our contest guidelines page. There you’ll find options for extra entries, rules, etc.
Your information is confidential and used for contacting the winner and prize fulfillment purposes only.
A complimentary product/service was provided for this review, however, all opinions expressed are our own. We were not compensated in any other way. See Mommies With Cents disclosure policy for more details.