Each week Dinner @ 6 will highlight a recipe using just 6 ingredients that was submitted by a reader. This week’s recipe was submitted by Kasey.:
Quick Latin steak and pan roasted corn
1. 2 new york strip steaks (14 – 16 oz. each)
2. EVOO, for rubbing
3. 3 cups fresh (about 5 ears) corn kernels, patted dry (if you have frozen, thaw and use, but don’t use the kind in the can, too mushy usually) – tip: easy to get the kernels off the cob by gently slicing down with a knife
4. 1/2 cup medium-hot salsa (salsa verde is my favorite, but you can use what you have)
5. 3 oz. cheese, such as queso fresco, finely crumbled – the idea is a kind of Mexican cheese (you can get queso fresco at most grocery stores) but I have used different kinds and it still tastes great
6. 1 lime, cut into wedgesHeat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the steaks dry, rub with a little olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Add the steaks to the skillet and lower the heat to medium. Cook until the bottom is seared, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 4 or 5 minutes longer for medium. Transfer the steaks to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
Quickly spread the corn evenly over the browned bits in the hot skillet. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, to brown on one side, about 1 minute. Then stir, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned all over, about 2 minutes.
To serve, halve the steaks crosswise and arrange on 4 plates. Pile the corn over the steaks. Sprinkle with the salsa and cheese. Serve with the lime wedges.
Be sure to check out previous weeks for more recipes!