I work from home now but there was a time that I was commuting to work and traffic was my biggest nightmare. Rather than sit in morning rush hour traffic, I’d actually get up early to beat the traffic, then catch some more sleep in my car before my work day started. The commute with traffic would normally take 1.5 to 2 hours each way. My hubby currently takes a similar route. Luckily, he was able to choose his hours so he goes in early and gets off in time to beat the traffic most days.
Everyone hates traffic. No one wants to spend precious time away from their families or other important things. And lets be honest, everything is more important than sitting in traffic! Not all of us can be so lucky to work from home or create our schedules to jive with traffic flow. TomTom wants you to “GetHomeFaster” and has created a navigation system to help you do just that. I gave it a try over Memorial Day weekend while leaving town for a camping trip, a nestle in the woods that would be our home away from home for the long weekend. This is how we started out:
So the last thing we wanted was to waste more time getting lost or getting stuck in a traffic jam. We left it to the TomTom Go to get us there faster.
Set up was easy. I actually did it from the car as we left the house. I had to download an app to my phone and then sync it via bluetooth but the device walked me through it. It’s been years since we’ve owned a navigation system and boy have they come a long way! This model has all the bells and whistles that make road trips a smooth ride.
It seems like every time we go on a trip we run into a mess on the way home. Sometimes it’s an accident, sometimes its road construction. Either way, since we aren’t in familiar territory, we don’t really know how to get around it. That’s what the TomTom is for! Not only will the device alert you when there is a jam ahead, it will also give you an alternate route option! Here’s some cool fact’s about TomTom:
- TomTom’s database covers 99.9% of the roads, which is more than any other traffic service available
- TomTom is the preferred traffic intelligence resource widely used by local government and traffic agencies to help solve mobility issues
- TomTom has a new MyDrive cloud tool that lets you plan your route before you leave the house and send it directly to your GO device so you can pop in the car and hit the road without having to stop and log in directions — I love this! We can prepare the night before and not have to scramble as we head out — it’s so much less stressful!
- MyDrive has been touted as one of the best by multiple tech magazines and most recently by ZDNet as “one of the best available.”
- One of the world’s largest databases of real-time traffic intelligence with the most up-to-date, accurate information on traffic anytime, anywhere so you can truly get to your destination faster
Did I mention the bells and whistles?:
- 3D & interactive maps feature landmarks and buildings in 3D for a great visual of where you are. The 5″ or 6″ capacitive touchscreen (depending on model) allows you to zoom in and out and explore the map with your fingertips
- The device comes pre-loaded with a map of US, Canada and Mexico and lifetime updates!
- Lifetime TomTom Traffic via smartphone — no subscription needed!
- Jam Ahead warning lets you know in advance that traffic is slowing down and tells you exactly when you’ll hit the jam
Two of my favorite features are the spoken street names and advanced lane guidance. I tend to get a little nervous when I’m driving somewhere new. I like to know what’s up ahead and which lane I should be in ahead of time. Visual and spoken cues really help ease my nerves! The visual experience with this device was so much better than I had expected compared to devices I’ve used in the past. The screen is large so there’s plenty of room to display the map plus a traffic indicator which makes it so easy to always be alert and aware of traffic situations. TomTom has also made many interface elements semi-transparent so you can always see the map underneath.
Navigating the device is as easy as the device makes navigating the roads! Every icon or point on the map is interactive. When you touch it, it gives you more information. It’s obvious that this new model was designed with experience and feedback from drivers — it’s so user-friendly! The search feature is evidence of that. It’s the only navigation device that suggests address or points of interest as soon as you start typing them in whether it’s an address, the name of a place or a type of destination like a restaurant or rest area. The search feature is my favorite tool when traveling!
So, what did we do with our extra time? Thanks to TomTom we reached our destination without any bumps beyond the initial flat tire which actually happened about a block from our home. This meant there was more daylight to enjoy for fishing and exploring!:
That’s a lot more fun than sitting in traffic if you ask me! I love the TomTom for road trips but it’s great for daily use too! I may not have a typical work commute but A 2013 study said that the average mom drives her children around for 1,248 miles per year, or the equivalent of two weeks … and that’s not counting the added hours spent in traffic.
Feeling lucky? Tell me how much time you spend on the road and what you would do with the extra time you would save not stuck in traffic for a chance to win a TomTom GO 500/600. Use the form below to enter.
A complimentary product/service was provided for this review, however, all opinions expressed are my own. I was also compensated for my time. See Mommies With Cents disclosure policy for more details.
Enter the giveaway by filling out the form below. Also, be sure to check out all of our other giveaways. NOTE: If you don’t leave your address, I won’t have a way to get your prize to you. If you need more guidance filling out this form, you can watch this video on how to enter Rafflecopter giveaways.
This giveaway is open until June 5, 2015 at 12:01 am EST to U.S residents.
Your information is confidential and used for contacting the winner and prize fulfillment purposes only.