My kids are picky eaters. I am always looking for ways to add more protein to their diets. All three of them are athletes with active lifestyles but since it’s difficult for me to get them to eat meat, alternative sources of protein are great!
Dietary protein is also important for pregnant women and new moms. Registered Dietitian Melissa Rifkin shares the benefits of protein during pregnancy below:
- Protein is important for ensuring the proper growth of fetal tissue, including the brain, and increased blood supply
- In a non-pregnant woman, protein demands are 0.8-1.0 g/kg/day. In pregnant women, the demands increase as high as 1.5g/kg/day, which roughly estimates to 75-100 g protein per day
- Pregnant women need three serving sizes of calcium per day
- During the time period in which a woman is breastfeeding, calorie needs and protein requirements remain higher than usual, similar to what is required during the second and third trimesters
- During pregnancy, especially the second and third trimesters, energy needs for the mother increase. This means the amount of macronutrients, like protein, also need to be increased in the last two trimesters
- Good quality, high-protein foods that are also low in sugar, like Muuna cottage cheese, help contribute to overall energy balance, which aids in an adequate milk supply, but also helps the mother maintain more stable energy levels and avoid large shifts in blood sugar.
Melissa believes variety helps with adding more protein into a daily diet. Lean sources are preferred i.e. chicken, fish, turkey, eggs, nuts, cheese, tofu and cottage cheese. Muuna offers protein-packed single-serve cups of cottage cheese with unique fruit-on-the-bottom flavors. It offers calcium and probiotics, which can aid with the health of the mother’s gut integrity and microbiome.
Two of my 3 kids enjoy cottage cheese already so I was excited to hear about these single serve cups with a variety of flavors. They’re perfect for lunchboxes and also a great snack to grab before a sports practice. I love the variety Muuna offers. Choose from plain, Black Cherry, Pineapple, Peach, Blueberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, Coconut, and Mango. Muuna Cottage Cheese is a great option for anyone that could use another way to add protein to their diet in a healthy way.
For more information about Muuna Cottage Cheese, please visit www.muuna.com.
Complimentary products were provided for this review, however, all opinions expressed are my own. I was not compensated in any other way. See Mommies With Cents disclosure policy for more details.
Feeling Lucky? Enter to win Muuna Cottage Cheese by filling out the form below. Also, be sure to check out all of our other giveaways. NOTE: If you don’t leave your address, I won’t have a way to get your prize to you. If you need more guidance filling out this form, you can watch this video on how to enter Rafflecopter giveaways.
This giveaway is open until October 23, 2018 at 12:01 am EST to U.S residents.