This time of year I need all the help I can get with the kids while they are home from school on break and BORED. We all know that screen devices are wonderful for keeping kids quiet and occupied but mindless games aren’t the best option. If you can find educational games that they love to play they’ll be using their brains and learning and having fun at the same time! Wonster Words is an award winning app for iOS and Android that helps kids learn to sound out words, learn their letter sounds and ultimately learn to read and spell. The game not only introduces basic word families to familiarize children with the sounds they make but it also helps broaden their vocabulary by defining the words they spell and using them in example scenarios with fun animations.
The game, inspired by Sesame Street, introduces basic word families and the 44 most common phonemes. The animated letters are fun to play with and help kids sound out the phonics, gliding vowels and consonant blends as they build the words.
Once the words are put together, short animations and mini-games tell the story of the words via a group of adorable Wonster characters. The mini games are really fun and the characters are silly and entertaining. Kids also earn a gift to open for completing words and can grow their collection of prizes. I love that kids are rewarded for their work, encouraging them to keep playing and learning.
Wonster Words is well-liked by parents and children and has won several awards including Parent’s Choice, Children’s Technology Review Editor’s Choice, National Parenting Product Award. While the game was designed for kids ages 3-6, my 8 year old still likes to play and it’s good practice for her, building on her reading skills. Here are some key features of the game:
- Learn the ABC’s and Phonics and Spelling
- Fall in love with the adorable Wonster crew as they explore word families, phonemes, digraphs
- Silly animations reinforce word definitions in a fun and engaging way
- Hundreds of words, 12 word families and 12 original stories; frequent new content
- Encourages exploration and engagement without scoring, quizzing, limits, or stress
- Stories cover popular children’s themes including: birthdays, friendships, nature, space, and more
If you already have the game, make sure you update your app because there is new content for 2018 Holidays!:
- Introducing the interactive Wonster Island, an entirely new User Experience!!
- New educational biomes cover Phonics, Stories, Math, Science, Art and Music
- New engaging mini-games that reinforce puzzle topics
- 5 new original scores and silly ambiance throughout the app
- Vowels coming soon!
Wonster Words is available on iOS, Google Play and Amazon. Download the game for FREE. In-app purchases are also available to unlock more content. Need to get presents wrapped? Have some baking to do? Wonster Words is a great option for keeping the littles busy while you prep for the holidays. This educational app offers screen time without the Mommy Guilt! Download Wonster Words and let your kids give it a try. I think they will love it!