About a week ago I got my first Simply Earth essential oils box. It came with 4 full sized oils, 6 recipe cards and the materials/ingredients to make the recipes. It’s a really neat subscription box if you are looking into using essential oils for your home and family and it’s an excellent value too! Right away I made almost all of the recipes — roll-on applicators for warts, sore muscles and a vapor rub for colds. I also made a vapor inhaler. I saved one of the recipes to make for Valentine’s Day.
What’s a better way to express your love for someone than to show that you care about their well-being? This shower melt recipe was created as a pick-me-up for when you are feeling under the weather with a cold or congestion. It was fast and easy to make and with a little bit of red food coloring and some cute packaging could easily be made into a Valentine gift. Here’s the recipe from Simply Earth:
1 Cup Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
2.5 Tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon and 1 Teaspoon Menthol Crystals
50 Drops Ravensara Essential Oil
25 Drops Lemon Essential Oil
15 Drops Defender Essential Oil
- Mix Baking Soda and cornstarch together
- Combine fractionated coconut oil and 1 tablespoon menthol crystals in a double boiler and stir until the crystals have dissolved. ( NOTE: I used a metal bowl over a saucepan of boiling water instead of a double boiler. The crystals melt very quickly. Be sure to use a pot holder to remove the bowl because it will be hot!)
- Remove from heat and add essential oils. Stir well.
- Slowly add liquid to dry goods, mixing the whole time until the consistency of wet sand. Add a little coconut oil if the mixture does not pack easily.
- Optional: Add food coloring and mix well.
- Place a pinch of the remaining un-melted 1 teaspoon of menthol crystals in the bottom of tablespoon scoop.
- Pour remaining goods into tablespoon scoop and press down firmly to pack it in.
- Gently tip over your tablespoon, tap out a tablet, and let air dry for about 24 hours with a towel over it.
- Wrap disks with cellophane or plastic wrap to preserve their amazingness.
- To use, simply drop one disk near the drain of your shower and enjoy!
Find out more about Simply Earth and enter to win a subscription here. You’ll also find a code for a free month when you sign up for your first month. Many oils cost upwards of $40 per bottle. A Simply Earth box is less than $40 and includes FOUR full sized bottles PLUS all the extras you need to start using them right away! Be sure to check it out!